Memorial Day Safety with SERVPRO of Greater Waco
Memorial Day is the unofficial kick-off of Summer in Texas. Make sure you’re prepared for the rising temperature, water side shenanigans and more grilled food than you can shake a stick at. Here are a few tips to make sure your holiday weekend stays fun and safe.
1) Make sure to have sunscreen. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends at least 30 SPF, which blocks 97% of the sun’s rays with the higher the number, blocking more UV radiation. Unfortunately, no sunscreen blocks 100% of rays. Also, make sure to reapply at least every two hours especially, if swimming or sweating.
2) Hydrate! REI recommends that you drink at least half a litter of water every half hour of moderate activity and should be increased with your activity level.
3) Clean your grill and check for leaks. Check this article from Char-Broil on how to test your grill for leaks https://www.charbroil.com/how-tos/testing-grill-gas-leak . Also, make sure to never leave a hot grill unattended.
4) Keep your food cool. Nothing spoils a weekend more than food poisoning. Cold foods should be kept on ice or cooled and left out no longer than hour. Warm foods should be kept heated to at least 140 degrees until served.
5) If you drink, don’t drive! 37% of Memorial Day holiday fatalities in 2018 involved an alcohol impaired driver. Make sure to have a designated driver or utilize one of the many rideshare programs in your area. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has created a list of sober/safe ride programs across the country, check it out here https://duijusticelink.aaa.com/for-the-public/aaas-role/public-education/sober-ride/ .
6) Make sure to designate a “water-watcher” for small children. Nothing moves faster than a small child to a body of water. Have someone dedicated to making sure they stay in site, at a safe swim level and that they keep life jackets or any other water safety gear on.
7) Make sure to have first aid kit with well stocked and make sure to add cards with everyone’s name, emergency contact, medical insurance and allergies, in the case an emergency does happen.
From all of us at SERVPRO of Greater Waco, have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend and remember, even during holidays, we are always open 24/7 for your weekend fire and water mitigation emergency needs at 254-224-5999.