COVID-19 and You
Concerns are widespread about coronavirus disease 2019 in our community, so naturally we went directly to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help understand the virus, prevention and what individuals who discover they are sick can do. Here are a few things from www.cdc.gov we found especially informative:
What is the source of the virus? According to www.cdc.gov, COVID-19 is from a family of coronaviruses that cause illness in humans while others affect animals. Genetic analysis of COVID-19 says it originated in bats but they are unsure how it jumped into humans. (For more info about the source and spread of the virus go HERE.)
How can I help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like COVID-19? Currently there is no vaccine to prevent contracting coronavirus disease 2019, but there are ways to prevent the spread of it such as:
- Avoid close contact with individuals who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough, sneeze and throw all tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect areas and objects that are frequently touched with household cleaning spray or wipes
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (About the length of the song “Happy Birthday”)
- After going to the bathroom
- Before eating
- After blowing your nose
- After coughing
- After sneezing
- If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty
- The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from COVID-19, only when a healthcare professional recommends it. Use of facemasks are crucial for people who have COVID-19 to protect others from becoming infected, for health workers and other people who come into close contact with individuals who are sick.
Though there are no disinfectants that are specific to COVID-19, the CDC recommends labeled hospital-grade disinfectants that are effective against similar viruses.
SERVPRO® of Greater Waco professionals are trained in adhering to the highest cleaning/sanitation standards provided by the CDC and local authorities. SERVPROXIDE is an EPA certified, hospital-grade disinfectant that has been found to be effective against viruses similar to Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19) on hard, non-porous surfaces.
We cannot prevent or eradicate the virus, but if asked, we will perform the necessary bioremediation services to clean, disinfect and sanitize your property.
For more information about COVID-19 and for current updates, follow the CDC on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.